Sunday, June 10, 2007

My Life Today (6-10-07)

Ok so I'll start by telling you all who I'am.
I'm Justin McAfee. I'm 15 and will be 16 in just a few short days. I'm in college even though I should just be a sophmore in high school. (I'm smart) I have two parents Kimball (Dad) & Terri (Mom). Mom is a stay at home mother raising my 3 sisters and me while dad works as a technician for his company where he works on tufting machines (the big machines that make carpet). My sisters are 12 , 6, and 2 yrs. old. Leighann the 12 yr. old is a basketball nut. She plays for Tennessee Xtreme. They were 2nd in the nation in 2006 and they intend to take the title this year. They also hold the highest scoring game in AAU Women's Basketball 12U history and are listed in the Women's Basketball Hall Of Fame and Won the Tennessee State Tournament for both AAU and YBOA. Lauren, the 6 yr. old, is a 2nd grader and hates school so Mom might home school her this coming fall. Alayna, the 2 yr. old, is a terrible toddler. Not really I love her. Anyway back to being in college. My college has a campaign going called the "Ask Joe!" campaign. I recently auditioned for a part as a "Joe". I was ecstatic; the college pays us $9.14/hr., book money, and gas mileage. So, that was 2 months ago. Because of budgeting issues we don't go under contract until July when the new budget starts. Well I've been working for the college every chance I could because I needed money for a trip to the National Young Leaders Conference in D.C. in November, but the tution is due in July. So, I went and worked a day at a parade. Then, at a golf tournament. Then, this week I started working as a "Joe" for the Riverbend Festival in Chattanooga, Tennessee. All this time I had been working would have meant a lump sum of cash coming in just days before my tution will be due. But, It didn't work out that way. After working a total of almost 56 hours, my boss tells me tonight that I won't be paid for ANY of the hours I worked because I'm not under contract yet. Which means, I was a volunteer this whole time. This money means alot to me and now I find out I'll be recieving none of it. The nomination to go on the NYLC trip is a really big deal and with my sister going to nationals that puts my family needing $5000 by June 25th. As you can imagine this royally sucks and therefore makes it interesting enough to stick in a blog. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm also a college student, discovering the injustices of the world. I just wish I could have skipped high school too. I'm wondering if you've ever acted...I hope you find the funds for your trip, sucks they didn't pay you.